- The Communications Director manages and coordinates activities, including media contacts, for the Senator and the office.
Purpose and Objectives
The Communications Director will develop and implement comprehensive communications strategies to meet the following objectives:
- Promote the Senator’s events, legislation, initiatives, constituent services, and overall public profile.
- Increase visibility of the Senator (quantitative).
- Increase constituent engagement (qualitative).
- Ensure transparent and timely information delivery to various stakeholders and constituent groups via communications deliverables and interfacing with the media.
Reporting to the Chief of Staff (CoS), the Communications Director will advise the Senator and the CoS on all matters concerning communication with the media or public, and will direct the execution of communications strategies to meet job objectives, coordinating with staff as needed.
Duties and Responsibilities
- In collaboration with the Senator and CoS, strategically plan, direct, and ensure execution of all public communications in support of legislative initiatives, district priorities, events, etc.
- Develop long and short-term outreach strategies to effectively communicate the Senator’s legislative, constituent service, and district efforts.
- Proactively identify and generate media and outreach opportunities on existing legislative initiatives, district priorities, events, etc.
- Coordinate with legislative and senior district staff in content development.
- Remain abreast of current legislative and non-legislative issues about which the Senator may be questioned.
- Monitor and track as necessary current issues, emerging issues and opportunities, the Senator’s media coverage, and constituent issues.
- Plan and execute press conferences, tele-town halls and other media-driven events.
- Play a supportive role in the planning of non-media driven events to ensure coordination between event planning and promotion.
- Staff the Senator at media events and at various other events as deemed appropriate by the CoS and Senator.
- Manage all media contacts.
o Field media inquiries, develop messaging and responses, develop pitches to reporters or publications.
o Act as a spokesperson for the Senator when deemed appropriate and necessary by the Senator, CoS.
o Provide internal updates to staff on the Senator’s public communications and provide strategic direction to staff on communications issues, messaging, and other public relations issues as needed.
- Direct, curate, and manage social media, website, and online communications
o Includes but may not be limited to:
- Manage, cultivate and increase engagement.
- Develop content and regular updates.
- Direct and manage photography.
- Direct and oversee production of audio / video content. Direct content of caucus monthly television program and local television opportunities and develop prep materials.
- Direct and curate the production of periodic updates to constituents in the form of printed mailings or email mass communications.
- Set alerts and carefully monitor inquiries from PLS in conjunction with the Leg team.
- Direct the generation of preparation materials utilizing and working with assigned staff. When supervising assigned staff in the generation of deliverables, provide information and direction on the required product, as well as feedback on the draft result.
o May include but is not limited to:
- Bi-weekly email newsletter (e-blast)
- Bi-annual newsletter
- Informational materials such as flyers and post cards for events.
- Prepared remarks for floor speeches and other events as needed.
- Talking points for media interviews and events.
- Background sections of more complex Press releases/statements
- Talking points for staff to utilize with constituents to ensure consistent messaging.
- Press releases/statements.
- When generating large-scale deliverables (i.e., print newsletter[s]) work with all relevant staff members to generate content and revise submissions.
- Other duties as assigned.
Deliverables (not exhaustive)
- Bi-annual Constituent newsletter(s) containing relevant updates on the Senator’s legislative and district priorities and accomplishments, past events, and other similar items.
- Regular and consistent bi-weekly electronic newsletter containing recaps of the Senator’s recent activities, and, when relevant, updates on legislative or district priorities, accomplishments, future events, and other similar items.
- Press releases and/or statements.
- Media advisories.
- Web content.
- Social media content.
- Informational materials, including but not limited to invitation flyers and post cards, for events.
- Prepared remarks for floor speeches.
- Talking points for interviews and events.
- Guest Columns and Op-Eds.
- Scripts for TV tapings.
- Press packets and press event materials.
A bachelor’s degree in journalism, public relations or a closely related field preferred, but not required, including strong academic credentials; and at least two years of communications experience, government experience preferred.
Skills and Knowledge Required:
- Strong writing, editing, and proofreading skills;
- Strong communication skills;
- Understanding of print, broadcast, and online media;
- Thorough knowledge of the legislative process, procedures and organization of the Senate;
- Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment;
- Ability to work cooperatively and courteously with others;
- Temperament to communicate with a variety of personalities in a tactful, pleasant, and professional manner;
- Knowledge of office computer applications; and
- Proficiency in word processing.
- Ability to work in a small work area without an expectation of privacy.
- Salary is determined based on experience.
- Competitive benefits and retirement package included.
Location/Region: Royersford, PA (19468)